How to recover your Gmail password?
If you are using a complicated password or rarely log in to your Gmail account, you may forget your Gmail password. It's easier to reset your password if you can access your recovery phone number, email address or backup options. Otherwise, it may take 3 to 5 business days to complete the account recovery process. This article shows you how to recover your Gmail password.
How to recover a forgotten Gmail password
Step 1: Go to http://www.gmail.com/ and click Sign In at the top right.
Step 2: Enter your email address or phone number and click Next.
Step 3: Click Forgot password?.
Step 4: Enter the last password that you remember and click Next.
If you don't remember your last password, click Try another way. You then may be asked to provide your email address or phone number to verify your identity and reset your password.
If you provided a secondary email address or a recovery phone number, you might be asked to:
Recover your Gmail password using your phone number
- Select either Text or Call.
- Google will send a verification code to your phone number via an SMS text message or a phone call.
- Enter the code into the box and click Next.
- Then, enter your new password twice to make sure that you typed it correctly and click Change Password.
You can click I don't have my phone if you don't have access to your phone number.
Recover your Gmail password using your alternate email address
Enter your recovery email address and click Send.
- An email with a verification code has been sent to your recovery email address. You will need to open the email sent by Google for the code, enter it into the box, and click Next.
- Enter your new password twice and click Change Password.
Recover a Gmail password without a recovery phone number or email address
If you don't have access to your alternate email address or phone number, click I don't have my phone or Try another way, Gmail may ask you some questions to confirm that you are the owner of the account. You will need to enter your answer and click Next or click Try another way until you come across a question that you can answer. Then, follow the on-screen options to reset your password. You may need to provide another email address that Google can use to contact you after reviewing your request. Google will contact you after 3 to 5 business days.